Thursday, March 27, 2008

Splenda No Buena

In my effort to lose weight I tried to make the switch to artificial sweeteners. I have always hated the after taste from aspartame(Equal) and saccharin(Sweet n Low), so I decided to try sucralose (Splenda).

I have to admit that it didn't taste quite like sugar, but it was a lot better than the others, so I started using it in my coffee. To get use to the taste I started with half Splenda and half sugar, then eventually shifted to all Splenda or Splenda and Hershey's Syrup (okay, if you have ever tried this, especially with French press coffee... you KNOW why... oh yeah!).

Anyway, I'm not the most calm person in the world and occasionally can get irritated with more than just politics, but I found myself being EXTREMELY edgy, especially after I had my coffee, which is really strange because that is normally 'happy time'. Well, it was getting worse and worse. Not only that but I was getting this shaky feeling a couple of hours after I had it. I would also break out sweating in ridiculous amounts and generally feel horrible.

So... I went on-line and started looking at adverse affects to Splenda. I was really surprised by some of the things I found. People have had all kinds of reactions to this stuff, everything from skin irritations to rheumatoid-like symptoms. After reading all that my shakiness and irritability didn't sound too bad.

I have been off the stuff for about a week. I've had no shakiness and no extreme irritability (although my wife might dispute that). For the most part I have been feeling a lot better and post coffee time has turned back into 'happy time'.

Anyway, I just thought I would share. Hopefully you all either don't use it or don't have the same type of reactions, but it is something to be aware of.

Thanks.

2 comments:

Bill Curley said...

Back i8n the stone age, I became a sailor. I loved going to sea as well as having lots of milk & sugar in my coffee. In those distant days, fresh milk ran out (esp on Destroyers) rather quickly so the galley served condensed milk for those who wanted milk with their coffee. I quickly learned that real coffee tasted better without either milk or sugar & have never gone back.

JonesGardenBlog said...

Oh, I hear you. I did the black coffee thing for a long time and in some cases prefer it.

Since I switched to the french press method of coffee creation, I just can't drink it black. The flavor is just overwhelming.

Plus, since I've quit candy and ice cream for the year, coffee is kind of my reward. I just really enjoy it. I'm currently using 1 spoon of sugar in the raw and one spoon of Hershey's syrup.

Oh yeah, it's good stuff.

All I need to do is pick up some pepperming syrup, then I could go 1 spoon Hershey's and 1 spoon syrup. Oh man that sounds so good I might have to run to the store at lunch

 
Clicky Web Analytics