Thursday, April 10, 2008

Looking for a Vacuum

In our last house we had a central vac and it was THE BOMB!!! When we had our current house built it was NOT an option and they wouldn't even let us bring an installer in. No bueno.

Since then we have gone through a list of HORRIBLE machines.

Here is my criteria:
- Light weight. I don't really WANT to do all of the vacuuming, so if it was light enough for the kids that would be great. Of course B would LIKE to be able to use it, so it has to be light weight.
- Good on tile. I have been sweeping the tile, but that just doesn't cut it. I need a vacuum that will be good for the tile.
- Dependable. This thing has to last with minimal help from me. I have repaired FAR too many of these things.
- Good power. By this I mean cubit feet of airflow per minute CFM. Our central vac had 240 CFM. Can you imagine that? It was so wonderful. I would tell the kids I was vacuuming their toy room and they would scramble because they knew that if they left any small toy on the floor it would soon be flying through the walls of the house at break neck speeds. I loved it. It would suck up a small dog. Beautiful machine. It's one of two things that I really miss about that house. The second was the pool because it had the BEST cleaning system. Yes, it is true I love EFFORTLESS cleaning.
- Clean. We have a bagless model right now and it is a HORRIBLE machine. Dust everywhere. No bueno on SO many levels.

Any suggestions?

I am seriously thinking about biting the bullet and having someone come out and install a central vac.

7 comments:

Bill Curley said...

We have found that the best approach may be in having more than one machine. For general purpose floor both carpet and tile surfaces, the Oreck XL (runs off 120 volt AC) does a pretty good job. It is very light weight and requires little maintenance. We are also investigating a very light weight cordless vacuum (haven't bought it yet but saw it used at work) the Bissell 2880 (or equivalent) cordless vacuum. The work one seems to do a good job over the very low pile carpet as well as the linoleum floors.

The White Family said...

We have had a Dyson (the yellow one) for many years now and I have to say that I has never lost suction or has dust outside the canister. It is truly amazing. It was really pricey but I would NEVER use anything else, and trust me I am anal about my vacuums.

JonesGardenBlog said...

I've been looking at the Dysons, but man they are heavy. In the small (supposedly light weight) one is fifteen plus pounds. And of course I am a junky when it comes to specs and the Dyson only gets about 60-70 cfm. It just sounds cheesy.

We've been looking at the Oreck. It seems good for the weight and manueverability, which is good. We are kind of leaning that way right now. They are giving you a small hand held vac as a "free gift" right now. That might be nice as the quick pickup on the tile.

Too many decisions...

I was also looking at how much it would be to get a central vac installed... ouch.

I don't know... I need something.

kristen said...

Okay, I have to say I have experience with both the Oreck and the Dyson. I love my Dyson. I don't actually vaccum that often anymore, the kids do it. So it can't be that heavy!!! Seth, Kylee, and Faith all take turns doing it and I do it rarely. I never thought the Oreck was that great. Sorry dad.

K.

kristen said...

vacuum. oops!!!!

K.

JonesGardenBlog said...

What color Dyson do you have, kristen?

kristen said...

Purple/blue

K.

 
Clicky Web Analytics