Thursday, April 17, 2008

ABC Democratic Debate

It was an interesting debate last night, despite what the media may be saying about it this morning. I have to admit that I didn't get to watch the whole thing, but the parts that I saw really impressed me.

Well, let me clarify. The candidates did not impress me at all. I thought Hillary certainly did better than Obama and looked a lot more relaxed and composed than he did. I've noticed when he gets nervous when he doesn't have a teleprompter egging him on and he stands very straight up, chin out, lips pursed... like he's holding in some really substantial gas. She looked really good, very confident, but not as arrogant as he did. Interesting. Anyway, back to my point. I was really impressed with the Charlie Gibson and George Stefanopolis. They actually asked some tough questions and then probed deeper when they got the typical "duck". At one point Charlie would not let Barrack up about his proposed changes to Social Security, which of course would lead to a tax increase, but Obama did not want to admit that. Charlie finally just bluntly said, "that's a tax increase." I saw both candidates squirm quite a bit. Obama a little more than Clinton because he quite frankly can deliver a great speech, but when it comes to answering tough questions, he doesn't know where to turn since his aids can't throw some stuff up on the screen to help him out.

I enjoyed it.

I am very curious, once the democrats finally pick their candidate, how the real debates will go. I would hope that the questioning would be even tougher. I would hope that it would be more substantive so the American people can see the HUGE difference in policies between McCain and the unnamed other guy/gal. On several of the questions last night, someone from a conservative perspective could have opened up a gaping hole in their arguments.

The real debates could be pretty entertaining.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics